Reception & Year 1
Croeso i’r Dosbarth Aran – Derbyn & Blwyddyn 1
Welcome to Dosbarth Aran – Reception & Year 1
Athrawon Dosbarth /Class Teachers – Mrs Roden and Mrs Clare Roberts
Cymorthydd Cyfnod Sylfaen/Teaching Assistant – Mrs Emma Fellows
Topic- Battle of the Dinosaurs
This term we have loved learning all about dinosaurs. We looked at how they lived, when they lived, how they behaved and interacted with each other.
In maths we created dinosaur number lines (we even counted pairs of dinosaurs in twos). We created dinosaur pictures using 2D shapes. We also measured dinosaur figures using cubes and centimeter rulers.
In Literacy we created our own imaginary dinosaurs and used lots of interesting adjectives to describe them. We created non-fiction dinosaur fact sheets, and then transferred these to create ICT Pic-Collage fact sheets with a partner.
In the enhanced areas we created a huge dinosaur collage and we built our own dinosaur habitats in the construction area. We especially enjoyed watching dinosaur ice eggs melt in different conditions as part of our science investigation.
We ended our topic with a trip to West Shore Beach. There we worked together to create an enormous dinosaur in the sand. We developed our team work and communication skills.
It was ROAR-SOME!!!
Topic – Paws, Claws and Whiskers
This term the children will learn about:
- Animals which are part of the cat family including domestic and big cats
- Habitats in which they live both in the home and in the wild
- The body parts of cats
- Animal care, including organisations and charities that provide animal welfare
- How to sequence movements to sounds and music
- Mark making, drawing and emergent writing
- The Welsh language using words and phrases across a range of experiences in the indoor and outdoor environment.
To finish our topic ‘When i fall asleep’ we made star biscuits, they were yummy.
We used flour, butter and sugar. We had to roll the dough out and use a star cutter to make the star.
We made our own stars to make a wish on them.
When I fall asleep
The children will learn:
- About rountines that they take part in at bedtime
- About the moon and stars and how the sky changes at night
- About sources of light
- About nocturnal animals such as bats, owls and foxes
- About time and being safe and feeling safe at night time.